CoC: Attendee Reporting Procedure
1. All conference staff will be indicated in Discord as members of “Moderators” or “2021 Organizers”. Moderators are prepared to handle incident reports. All of our staff are informed of the code of conduct policy and guide for handling harassment at the conference.
2. Report the harassment incident (preferably in writing) to a conference staff member. All reports are confidential. Please do not disclose public information about the incident until the staff have had sufficient time in which to address the situation. This is as much for your safety and protection as it is the other attendees.
When reporting the event to staff, try to gather as much information as available but do not interview people about the incident. Staff will assist you in writing the report/collecting information.
The important information consists of:
- Identifying information (name/badge info) of the participant doing the harassing
- The behavior that was in violation
- The approximate time of the behavior (if different than the time the report was made)
- The circumstances surrounding the incident
- Other people involved in the incident
The staff is well informed on how to deal with the incident and how to further proceed with the situation.
3. If everyone is presently physically safe, involve law enforcement or security only at a victim’s request. If you do feel your safety in jeopardy please do not hesitate to contact local law enforcement by dialing 911. If you do not have a cell phone, you can use any hotel phone or simply ask a staff member.
Note: Incidents that violate the Code of Conduct are extremely damaging to the community, and they will not be tolerated. The silver lining is that, in many cases, these incidents present a chance for the offenders, and the community at large, to grow, learn, and become better. PyOhio staff requests that they be your first resource when reporting a PyOhio-related incident, so that they may enforce the Code of Conduct and take quick action toward a resolution.
This procedure has been adopted from the Ada Initiative’s guide titled ”Conference anti-harassment/Responding to Reports“.